Skip to main content

Raising Kids Is A Lot Like Mompreneurship: Hard Work For Amazing Benefits

The other day I was talking with my teen about parenthood. He was asking me questions about my
parenting style and choices we made with our kids when they were little. It involved a lot of hard work, a lot of patience, a lot of tears, temper tantrums (not all of them by the kids😁), and hard work! And now life in general is pretty amazing. My tween daughter and teen boys like to hang out with us (some times😅), they talk to us (generally with their nice voices😜), we enjoy each other's company and respect one another. That is not to say that we don't have our moments and that they wouldn't prefer their friends over us, but I will take the teen years any day. They're still at home but they're independent, kind, funny and able to wipe their own butts and get their own snacks🙏😂

My son's questions got me to thinking about my journey with mompreneurship and made me realize it has been similar. When I started my business, I was super excited but extremely nervous at the same time because I had no idea what I was doing. I was nervous what people would say and if I could figure it out. Any moms remember the first time you were out in public with a screaming baby? Pretty much the same, right? Then things started getting a little easier, and I got the hang of things. And then suddenly a road block appeared out of nowhere, and I felt like there was no way I could continue as an entrepreneur. Moms, again doesn't this sound like when your kid hits a new phase? You feel like you just get something figured out and bam, your kid is one step ahead of you ready to let you know you are not keeping up adequately. And so the roller coaster ride of parenthood and entrepreneurship continues until you reach a phase where you can breathe, life truly is easier, all of the hard work and sacrifices are paying off, and you are reaping the rewards of consistent discipline as both a parent and an entrepreneur.

So if you are thinking of a Mompreneur gig, know that it will not be easy. I'm not going to lie. But parenthood is not easy, and you're doing it. So you can and absolutely should be a Mompreneur! Embrace the suck just as you do parenthood because all of it is worth the snuggles and kisses, all worth the love, all worth the 100% awesomeness that are your kids. And with your business, the hardships and challenges are well balanced with the opportunity to make your own money, to have something for you, to own your time and life and to be with your kids because it's your choice and all of that is priceless. So what's it going to be? Life is hard. Choose your hard. I, for one, would rather build my own dreams than someone else's because I've built someone else's and had that rug pulled away from me. Never again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative And Stuck Behind A Desk? Time To Break Free!

Are you a creative type looking for more than the corporate grind? You know you have the ideas, but do you have what it takes to break free? Lisa Gutierrez Martinez often asked herself those questions, and she even asked her friends, some of whom basically told her that her business idea was crazy. Luckily for her and many people who have benefitted from her culturally impactful, creative and stylish dinner parties, she didn't listen. Lisa has worked successfully in various corporate positions, liking some, not loving some, and throughout them all envisioning other ways she could be professionally challenged and fulfilled as an entrepreneur. Having her own business was even more of a calling for her when her son was born. Until he was around one, she stayed with her job and had limited flexibility, but she still had to be away from him for 8 to 9 hours a day and knew it was time for a change so started her "side hustle." Like many entrepreneurial-minded people, Lis

Do You Think All Bricks And Mortar Businesses Are Dead? Think Again!

We hear it over and over again - bricks and mortar stores are dying. Don't start a retail store because everyone is shopping on line. Recently I met a mompreneur who would beg to differ. Megan Giltner, a self-proclaimed professional bra fitter and accidental entrepreneur, became the owner of a lingerie boutique a few years ago and says the business is thriving. Like many of us moms who pursue entrepreneurship, Megan always knew that being a mom was something important to her, and at the same time she needed to feel professionally productive and engaged. She had been working in lingerie for several years, initially as a part-time way to earn some extra spending money. When Megan was four months pregnant, the owner offered her the opportunity to purchase the business where she was working, and although timing may not have seemed ideal, she jumped in with both feet and has not regretted her decision. What Megan loves most about entrepreneurship is the ability to do something sh

Time Outs For Mom? Yes, Please!

We talk a lot about giving our kids time outs, but have you remembered yourself? Are you giving yourself time outs from all of the mommy-, home-, and professional-life duties? When my kids were little, some times even 30 minutes of not being needed helped me feel so refreshed! And guess what happens when we feel refreshed? We are better moms, wives, and friends and feel whole again - like maybe we can do this mom thing and aren't such a failure after all. So what are some great things to do to take care of you, to make you feel like yourself? 1. Work out. This doesn't have to mean going to the gym every day or spending hours on machines and weights. This can be something as simple and free as grabbing another mom friend, putting your kids in a baby carrier and/or stroller, and going for a walk or run. You could find a gym that has baby sitting services. When my kids were little, I found a Jazzercise class where I babysat once a week so got my membership comped. There a